PS2 College Recruiting Services
PS2 College Recruiting Services
Quarantined? 10 Tips for HS Players to Maximize This Time “Off”
You worked hard all winter to prepare for your high school season…only to have the rug ripped out from underneath you at the last minute. No baseball for weeks, maybe months.
Yes, you’re sad and frustrated, but there are ways you can use this time to your advantage, especially when it comes to reaching out to college coaches. Stay prepared to play while getting on the radar of schools you’re interested in by following these 10 tips.
- Develop and refine your target list of schools. Use tools provided by your guidance department, or just start searching on Google for schools that have the major(s) you’re interested in, the location you’re looking for, the size and type of school that interests you, and that have a baseball team.
- Do your research on the school’s athletic program. What conference are they in? How many freshmen are currently on the roster? How many seniors? How many are at your position? What other schools are in the conference that may be of interest to you as well? What does the average player at each school look like (height, righty/lefty, weight, etc.)?
- Next it’s time to research the coaching staff. What does the head coach’s resume look like? Where have they been previously? How many assistant or volunteer coaches are on staff? How long has this staff been together?
- Once the research is done, prepare an email for outreach and write down some talking points for a phone conversation.
- Throughout all this, you need to keep your skills and your mental focus sharp so when the country gets back to baseball, you’re ready. Make sure your grades don’t falter during this time of distance learning. Don’t fall into lazy traps. Coaches always ask about grades. In fact, it’s usually the first thing they ask.
- Take care of yourself. Eat, sleep, workout, repeat. Try to stick to a regular routine, even though it’s not the routine you’re accustomed to. Make a plan and do it. Every day.
- Journal. And this doesn’t have to be some long-form, poetic piece of work. Journaling is a way to brain dump things floating around in your head and get them down on paper. Then you can start to sort out through the noise what’s important to you. Your long and short term goals. And don’t forget to write down one thing each day you’re grateful for.
- Learn through observation. There is no shortage of video content these days and you should use this time to consume valuable pieces of content relative to what your goals are. You can watch some incredible games on YouTube. You can search all sorts of drills and throwing programs. The “classroom” side of baseball is often overlooked, yet is so incredibly important.
- Connect with your friends….from a distance. This is really important. We all need to keep up relationships with our friends and teammates during this time. Maintain team chemistry. Schedule a time to all get together online, even if it’s to sit down and play MLB The Show.
- And finally, stay involved in the community, however you can. Coaches love to see student athletes involved in community events and activities. Find ways to help by contacting religious organizations and other non-profits and get involved with something that suits your personality and sparks interest.
Want more information or help with the college search process? PS2’s Director of Recruiting and Mental Skills Coordinator, John Hodson, is available to assist. Email us at email@example.com for more information.
PS2 College Recruitment Services
PS2 Players' Vault: Connecting athletes with college coaches and scouts nationwide. If you aspire to play at the collegiate level, we're here to help you. In addition to our outstanding instruction, PS2 also offers professionally made recruiting videos for you to showcase your skills. Contact us for more info: firstname.lastname@example.org
PS2 Academy Partners with SportsRecruits.com
We are pleased to roll out this partnership with SportsRecruits.com to add more value to our Players Vault Recruiting Services. To learn more about what Sports Recruits offers, please click here ( https://sportsrecruits.com ). For more information, please contact us at 973-689-7700 or email@example.com.
PS2's Arbert Cipion Drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers!
Every now and then a talent comes along so good with God given abilities, an unbelievable work ethic and just an all around great human being. That is Arbert Cipion. To think when he first came to workout for us the first time he was 14 maybe 15 years old, 6.6 speed, an A+ arm from the OF and no one had picked him up yet for summer ball, he flew under the radar and a simple phone call made it happen. When he committed to PS2, he committed all the way, he trusted the system and more importantly he trusted his coaches and we are forever grateful for that. This is the type of player that could go play for any program in the country and he chose us.
As the seasons went on he became the leader of our inaugural team just 3 years ago, and we watched him grow as a player and as a man. That special player we saw 3 years ago still flying under the radar had one dream and that was to play professional baseball. All of the showcases, college camps, workouts we went to finally paid off - he got offered a 100% scholarship to Southern New Hampshire University. Mission accomplished right?! No!! PS2 Founder Tommy Barbella remembers when Arbert looked at him one day going into his senior season and asked, "Coach, do you think I can get drafted?" Tommy told him, "you keep doing what you're doing and I believe you can. Physically, you have all the tools, you have to be mentally prepared." We knew he was ready and now we had to get the scouts to know.
Still flying under the radar but making noise on the field, a friend comes calling, who happens to be an area scout for a pro team (who we are forever grateful for the work he put in with Arbert) and he loves Arbert and tells me "he's 100% draft-able, he has things you can't teach, SPEED, work ethic, great attitude!" Word starts to spread from area scout to area scout, 2 in particular. Then at 5:33 pm on June 5th the Milwaukee Brewers in the 9th Rd made Arbert's dreams come true by choosing him 275th overall, the 2nd HS player in NJ to get drafted up till that point.
Here is a young man who did everything right, worked hard every day on and off the field, trusted the system at PS2, came to all the workouts, started early and stayed late and gave 2 young and upcoming coaches at PS2 Academy a chance and now he's getting his chance...there was no hype on social media previously, there wasn't a national ranking, even though he's one of the best in country. There was hard work, early morning workouts, late night discussions and training and believing in himself. This is a testament that dreams do come true and it all started with a love for the game and a phone call...
Congratulations to our boy Arbert Cipion! Words cannot describe how we feel about you and how happy we are for you. This is just the beginning, nothing changes, nothing stops, be the hardest worker on and off the field and good things will always happen!
Nilo Rijo Signs with the Boston Red Sox
Congratulations to Nilo Rijo who was signed by the Boston Red Sox at PS2 Athletic Facility on March 22. Nilo has been on the Sox radar for a while now and his hard work and dedication has paid off! Follow Nilo on Instagram @thejuicebro_7 and watch his incredible journey unfold.